The Junior Radiologists' Forum's Less than full-time Survey carried out in 2019 identified that trainees would value the provision of dedicated courses to prepare them for to returning to work after a period of absence. Courses that provided refresher training on on-call imaging and simulation for USS and practical procedures were particularly highly valued.
The RCR recognises that it may not be viable for all radiology schools to provide a dedicated return to work course, but for those that do wish to do so we hope that the following guidance and recommendations will be of use.
Setting up a course
Any local course will need to be tailored to your own region and/or training programme. The objectives and content listed here are suggestions only and should be considered alongside local structures and local needs. It is not intended or expected that a course would include everything listed here, they are merely suggestions to get you started.
Objectives of the course
- To refresh knowledge of radiology for doctors returning to clinical practice after a period away from clinical practice for any reason
- To build clinical confidence and reassure regarding returning to work in a relaxed, supportive environment
- To build peer support systems through networking opportunities
What could the course involve?
- An update in the latest developments in radiology over the last 12 months
- Refresher on the use of equipment such as ultrasound and screening units.
- Updates on any policy or procedural changes e.g. contrast media
- Smaller ‘breakout sessions’ to suit trainee’s particular needs, e.g. LTFT working, work-life balance, maintaining research momentum
- Networking opportunity to meet others who are in the same situation.
- Cover topics most relevant to delegates concerns e.g. E-portfolio, work life balance, LTFT, maintaining research momentum, contrast reactions.
- Provide information as a mixture of presentations, workshops, simulation (ultrasound) and skills drills (biopsy/drain practice)
- Provide opportunity to complete workplace based assessments if doctor wishes
- Q&A with faculty
- Evaluation and feedback from attendees
- Certificate of attendance
Lessons from the London School of Radiology
The London School of Radiology has established a return to training course which has been very successful and now runs three times a year. We are grateful to them for agreeing to share their experiences.