FRCR examination updates
Our examination updates address any changes made to our FRCR examinations:
- Priority 1 candidates who applied for CO2A September 2021 sitting, will automatically be allocated a provisional place in CO2B, pending their result. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org only if you DO NOT want to be entered for CO2B.
- Update on examination arrangements for 2021
- Oncology examinations: change to application dates for September 2021 sitting
- First and Final Part A examination delivery update
Purpose of assessment
The Final FRCR (Part A) Examination expects candidates to have a wide knowledge of malignant disease and the management of patients with cancer. The main emphasis is on radiotherapy and drug therapy, but a good knowledge of general medicine, surgery and gynaecology is expected. Candidates are examined against the specialty training curriculum for clinical oncology and the clinical oncology syllabus. The Final FRCR (Part A) Examination comprises two papers of 120 single best answer (SBA) questions. Further general information on the examination is available in the guidance notes. Please note that for candidates who are eligible and wish to apply for the Final FRCR (Part B) examination at the same sitting of the Final FRCR (Part A) examination, they must apply within the corresponding application date. Once the results of the Final FRCR (Part A) examination are published, the sucssesful candidates will be asked to pay for the Final FRCR (Part B) examination accordingly.
The Final FRCR Examination purpose of assessment statement details the examination's purpose, the required level of candidate training and the application of results. It is hoped that the statement will assist candidates, and those involved in their training, in understanding the scope of the FRCR examination and with relating the examination to other in-training assessments.
Before you apply
- Please read our instructions on how to prepare before you apply for the examination.
- To help your application go smoothly, make sure you can log in to your website account in advance.
- If you can’t remember your login details, use the forgotten password or forgotten email links or contact us for support. Do not create another account.
- Applications will open at 9:00 and will close at 17:00 (UK time) on the closing date for each priority.
Dates, fees and venues
How to apply
Applicants should ensure they have read the examination regulations before applying.
Applications for this examination are not currently open
- Please watch the Speedwell instructional video before you attempt the examination
- Audio series: trainees share their experiences of the Final FRCR examination in clinical oncology
- Sample SBA questions and candidate reference sheet for use during the examination
- Generic examiners' reports are available as a guide to candidates and trainers preparing for future sittings of the examination.
The Final Examining Board suggests that candidates prepare for the examination using TNM version 8. The examiners are, however, aware that previous versions remain in common use around the country and will generally use questions where trainees more familiar with TNM version 7 are still able to answer the questions successfully.