Radiotherapy is one of the most rapidly advancing areas in medicine. Techniques - including widely-publicised proton beam therapy - are becoming increasingly sophisticated and helping ever more patients to survive cancer.
However, radiotherapy remains under-valued and under-funded. More needs to be done to ensure that patients have access to the best possible radiotherapy treatment. To achieve this, our priorities for radiotherapy 2019-20 are:
- Workforce Patients with cancer need timely access to high-quality radiotherapy treatment
- Equipment Patients deserve treatment with state-of-the-art radiotherapy machines
- IT Patients with cancer need their professional teams to be able to share complex information effectively
- Networks Patients need safe, high-quality radiotherapy in every UK centre
- Wellbeing Patients get better care if the doctors treating them work in a supportive environment