This curriculum defines the process of training and the competences needed for the successful completion of training in Interventional Radiology. When followed as part of a prospectively approved training programme, it leads to the award of a certificate of completion of training (CCT) in Clinical Radiology with Interventional Radiology sub-specialisation.
The training extends over six years with the first three years focusing on acquiring general radiological competencies at the same time as acquiring core interventional skills. Trainees pursuing this curriculum will take all components of the FRCR in Clinical Radiology.
The last three years of training as an interventional radiologist concentrate on developing advanced interventional competencies at the same time as maintaining core competencies in general radiology.
Current Interventional Radiology curriculum
- 2016 Interventional Radiology subspecialty curriculum
- 2016 Changes and transition arrangements - Interventional Radiology subspecialty curriculum
The College revised the interventional radiology curriculum in December 2016.
In summary, the interventional radiology curriculum changes from 2015 to 2016 are:
- Revision to the vascular radiology diagnosis table to differentiate between level 1 and level 2 diagnoses (following the removal of level 2 vascular radiology competencies from the clinical radiology curriculum)
- Revision to the ARCP grid
- A Quality Improvement Project Assessment Tool (QIPAT) has been introduced as a replacement for the current Audit Assessment (AA) tool to cover both clinical audit and QI projects
- Minor revision to the clinical content to reflect current interventional radiology practice
All trainees should transfer to the relevant 2016 curriculum from their next ARCP after 1st February 2017. The changes and transition arrangements are described in full in the changes and transition arrangements document above.
Previous versions of the Interventional Radiology Curriculum
- Sub-Specialty Training Curriculum for Interventional Radiology (2012) (PDF)
- 2012 Clinical Radiology Curricula Changes (PDF)