Working in the UK

Clinical oncologists abroad considering working in the UK

Working in the UK National Health Service (NHS) can be a very rewarding experience for clinical oncologists in terms of developing their professional practice and site specialty interests.

For an idea of what clinical oncology practice is like in the NHS, you can look at our current training curriculum to see how clinical oncologists are trained, and at our page on What is it really like to be a clinical oncologist?

There are a number of grades at which you can work in the UK – for example, as a permanent NHS consultant, as a temporary (locum) NHS consultant, as a specialty doctor (a non-consultant career grade), or as a specialty trainee/registrar.

All doctors practising in the UK must be registered with the General Medical Council. You should look into how you will obtain GMC registration at the earliest opportunity. You can see details on our webpages about Routes to GMC registration.  

One of the best things you can do is to make sure that your CV is well structured. Take a look at these helpful tips and hints, along with information to help you prepare for job interviews.

All doctors who practise medicine in the UK must have the necessary knowledge of English to communicate effectively so they do not put the safety of their patients at risk. Further information is available on the required standards for English language.

You are likely to require a visa to work in the UK. The visa you need depends on a number of things, including what kind of job you’re taking up and how long you plan to remain here, but working as a medical doctor is likely to require a Skilled worker visa. In general, you will find that once you’re offered a job, the Human Resources department at the relevant hospital will be able to help you with this, but you should look at the options on the UK visas and immigration website.

Brexit - there is advice and guidance available:

GMC's information for doctors about Brexit 

Gov.UK - Continue to live in Britain after Brexit and  Apply to the EU Settlement Scheme

NHS Employers - Brexit and the NHS EU workforce - how to support your EU staff

The RCR does not match applicants to jobs or have a list of jobs that are open for application. There are a number of websites available where you can apply for jobs.