Professional qualifications and registration

How to register with the General Medical Council to practise as a doctor in the UK

Routes to GMC registration
Provides information on the processes for applying for registration as established by the GMC.

Certificate of Eligibility for Specialist Registration
It is a legal requirement for doctors to be registered on the GMC’s Specialist Register in order to practise in a substantive, permanent or honorary NHS consultant post. The RCR evaluates applications for specialist registration on behalf of the GMC and makes a recommendation to the GMC as to whether or not the application should be approved.  Please note that the CESR process can take several months to complete. RCR queries to email: 

Doctors who are nationals of the European Economic Area (EEA) and have certain specialist qualifications from the EEA may be eligible for automatic mutual recognition of their qualifications by the GMC, for the purpose of entry to the specialist register - see Routes to GMC registration

RCR International Sponsorship Scheme (ISS)
Overseas clinical radiologists including trainees who wish to undertake a period of specialist training in the UK and have been offered a suitable training post in the UK, may be sponsored for registration by the RCR, as an alternative to taking the PLAB test, under the ISS. Sponsorship is not available to applicants if they are a national of or are living in an EEA country.