The Constance Thornton Fellowship
This annual fellowship enables a UK clinical radiologist to undertake a research project or further a radiological interest (preferably centres on cross-sectional imaging or paediatric radiology, likely to lead to a publication) in the UK or abroad.
The Constance Thornton Fellowship was endowed in 1995 by a bequest from the estate of the late Miss Constance Thornton to further radiological research.
“This fellowship has given me the skills essential in clinically relevant research.” – 2018 recipient
To apply you must be:
- A UK clinical radiologist
- An RCR Fellow or Member.
How to apply
Please read the guidance notes before applying.
Applicants will need to submit:
- A completed application form, including:
- A detailed account of the proposed project including title, purpose, timing, plan of investigation, methods and techniques of study
- Details of any co-applicants
- Details of public and patient involvement
- A budget plan
- Details of two potential referees, both of which should be consultant clinical radiologists based at different institutions to each other, and to the applicant. The referees should be experts in their field and have no connection to either the project or the applicant(s). The referees will be asked by the RCR to provide external feedback on the merits of the proposed project, NOT the character of the applicant
- A brief curriculum vitae comprising of 2 pages maximum. This should not include a photograph of the applicant
Letter(s) of support from the research venue and/or project supervisor
Further application guidelines will be available
Applications are made in open competition and the Fellowship is awarded by the Academic Committee based on the recommendation of an assessment panel. The decision of the assessment panel is final and binding. Applicants will be informed of the outcome of their application in early October.
Applicants may apply for only ONE of the following research awards in any given year: Kodak Fellowships; Research Bursary; Constance Thornton Fellowship or RCR Seed Grant. The assessment panel reserves the right to move an application into another award category if appropriate.
- A paper on the grants awarded under the above schemes between 2019-2022 is available.
Any enquiries should be directed to [email protected]