Every doctor active in the NHS will need to interpret radiological images in their work, and so fundamental knowledge of Radiology is crucial for every medical student. Rooted in this ethos, LivRadSoc is a student-led society established in 2013. We primarily aim to empower medical students by preparing them to describe and diagnose what is shown on a variety of medical images. This is achieved via the delivery of lectures from consultant and registrar radiologists affiliated with Royal Liverpool and Aintree Hospital trusts, as well as the Mersey School of Radiology.
The objectives of LivRadSoc are as follows:
- To facilitate expert Radiology teaching from consultants and registrar radiologists to supplement the undergraduate curriculum.
- To provide medical student-led peer-based teaching, allowing students the opportunity to both teach and learn radiological concepts in a supportive environment.
- To develop society-led financial sponsorship of medical students in undertaking electives in the field of Radiology.
- To work with other RCR affiliated university radiological societies to establish regional radiology teaching conferences.
- To increase awareness of Radiology as a medical specialty and attractive career option to medical students.
- To familiarise medical students from their very first year with the topic of radiological anatomy, providing a sound basis for future anatomy and pathology studies.
Our core tenet of lectures, each focusing on a different imaging modality or body system can help students of any level develop a working knowledge of systemic anatomy and common pathologies to recognise and describe. Our popular ‘Radiology for Finals’ series covers core cases for final year exams. This year we hope to establish a regional radiology teaching conference, small group case interpretation and a lecture focused on radiological anatomy for new first year students. Finally we are happy to announce a financial sponsorship prize open for a medical student undertaking a Radiology based elective this year.
We are honoured to be affiliated with the Royal College of Radiologists, and look forward to working with them to increase awareness of radiology as a career, as well as promote widespread core competencies in radiology amongst the doctors of the future.
Our committee presenting at the RCR's 2017 Undergraduate Radiology Meeting
Liverpool School of Medicine