Coronavirus (COVID-19) and RCR events
Please make sure you read the RCR position on coronavirus (COVID-19) and RCR events before booking or attending an RCR event.
- Tuesday 24 March 2020 - London - CANCELLED
- Tuesday 23 June 2020 - Cardiff - CANCELLED
- Tuesday 20 October 2020 - London - This workshop is currently full, but if you wish to add your name to the waiting list, please email the Mentoring team.
The pressure on doctors to deliver more service in less time has never been so great. Being a mentee or mentor is a powerful way to build resilience and strengthen coping strategies. As part of the RCR's work to develop and support leadership in clinical radiology and clinical oncology, we have established a national mentoring scheme for new consultants and those moving into new roles; for example, doctors arriving from overseas to work in the UK or those taking on a training or management role.
Commitment from both mentors and mentees
- Participants must be available to attend a training/induction day and to meet (face to face or virtually) your mentor or mentee at designated times (six one-hour meetings in 12 months is suggested)
- The RCR agrees to try and match you, after training, with a mentor or mentee outside your Trust with whom you can work towards specific career goals.
We need people with experience and seniority (at least 5-10 years as a consultant) with an interest in personal development. Each mentor will receive free training and learning materials to support their development as mentors. Ongoing support and guidance will be available.
- The opportunity to enhance your skills in developing others
- The opportunity to reflect and review your experience and offer insight into the learning gained
- Working with the mentee’s issues often leads to invaluable insights into your own working situation
- Intellectual challenge and the satisfaction of helping another develop
- Supporting your revalidation and career development
- Contribution to the development of The Royal College of Radiologists
A mentor from our recent programme said:
I think it really, really helps you to do a very good high quality appraisal, the sorts of things we’ve been learning, not just as a mentor but having this exchange, and relationship with my own mentee, I think it’s been fantastic.
The scheme aims to provide new consultants, or those taking on new career responsibilities, with an established mentor to help them into their new role. Mentees will receive free training and the RCR will facilitate the initial contact with a mentor, an experienced consultant, who will support their transition to their new role.
- Accessing impartial support and encouragement through a supportive relationship
- Assistance with problem solving
- Improving self-confidence
- Offer professional development
- Encouragement to reflect on practice
Mentees from the recent programme said:
The transition from registrar to consultant is something really stressful, so it’s good to have some sort of support, and it was good that the College has recognised that this is something that should be addressed from the trainees’ point of view.
I could tell it was different to any other sort of mentoring advice, support, supervision, I’d had before. Clearly there are techniques you can learn to really help people.
Please note that this programme is only available to full members of the RCR.
For any queries regarding the mentoring scheme, please contact email@example.com.