Upcoming workshops - new dates announced
Following on from an enthusiastic response, we are pleased to announce two more online mentoring workshops in 2021 - please click on your preferred date to access the application form::
If you wish to be added to the waitlist for any of the following dates, please email the Mentoring Team:
- Monday 26 April, 17:45 - 19:45 - currently fully booked - waitlist only
- Tuesday 25 May, 12:00 - 14:00 - currently fully booked - waitlist only
- Monday 21 June, 10:00 - 12:00 - currently fully booked - waitlist only
The pressure on doctors to deliver more service in less time has never been so great. Being a mentee or mentor is a powerful way to build resilience and strengthen coping strategies. As part of the RCR’s work to develop and support our members and Fellows, in 2014 we established a mentoring programme for new consultants as well as those moving into new roles (e.g. arriving from overseas to work in the UK, taking on a training or management role). In 2021, we are welcoming final-year trainees to the programme, endeavouring to provide broader support to the transition from registrar to consultant.
How it works
- Both mentors and mentees attend a training session.
- After the training, you will be offered a match with someone outside your trust/UHB; this match lasts for a 12 month period and we suggest 6 one-hour meetings over this period.
- The RCR Mentoring Team will check in with you throughout the match to offer support and answer any queries.
We need people with experience and seniority (at least 5-10 years as a consultant) with an interest in personal development. Each mentor will receive free training and learning materials to support their development as mentors. Ongoing support and guidance will be available.
- The opportunity to enhance your skills in developing others
- The opportunity to reflect and review your experience and offer insight into the learning gained
- Working with the mentee’s issues often leads to invaluable insights into your own working situation
- Intellectual challenge and the satisfaction of helping another develop
- Supporting your revalidation and career development
- Contribution to the development of The Royal College of Radiologists
A mentor from our recent programme said:
I think it really, really helps you to do a very good high quality appraisal, the sorts of things we’ve been learning, not just as a mentor but having this exchange, and relationship with my own mentee, I think it’s been fantastic.
The scheme aims to provide new consultants, consultants moving into new roles (e.g. arriving from overseas to work in the UK, taking on a training or management role), and final-year trainees with an established mentor. Mentees will receive free training and the RCR will facilitate the initial contact with a mentor.
- Accessing impartial support and encouragement through a supportive relationship
- Assistance with problem solving
- Improving self-confidence
- Offer professional development
- Encouragement to reflect on practice
Mentees from the recent programme said:
The transition from registrar to consultant is something really stressful, so it’s good to have some sort of support, and it was good that the College has recognised that this is something that should be addressed from the trainees’ point of view.
I could tell it was different to any other sort of mentoring advice, support, supervision, I’d had before. Clearly there are techniques you can learn to really help people.
Please note that this programme is only available to full members of the RCR.
For any queries regarding the mentoring scheme, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.