The RCR's consultant mentoring scheme supports final year trainees, new consultants and those moving into new roles.
On this page you can find information about:
- Upcoming mentoring training workshops
- How to become a mentor
- How to find a mentor
- What to expect from the consultant mentoring scheme
Upcoming mentoring training workshops
The sessions for our online mentoring training workshops for 2023 are as follows:
Wednesday 17 May 2023, 12:00 - 14:00 - WAITING LIST AVAILABLE
Thursday 22 Jun 2023, 12:00 - 14:00 - WAITING LIST AVAILABLE
Thursday 21 September 2023, 18:00 - 20:00 - AVAILABLE
Tuesday 14 Nov 2023, 14:00 - 16:00 - AVAILABLE
To express an interest and to be added to our waiting list or for any queries, please contact the Mentoring Team.
We need people with experience and seniority (at least 5-10 years as a consultant) with an interest in personal development. Each mentor will receive free training and learning materials to support their development as mentors. Ongoing support and guidance will be available.
- The opportunity to enhance your skills in developing others
- The opportunity to reflect and review your experience and offer insight into the learning gained
- Working with the mentee’s issues often leads to invaluable insights into your own working situation
- Intellectual challenge and the satisfaction of helping another develop
- Supporting your revalidation and career development
- Contribution to the development of The Royal College of Radiologists
A mentor from our recent programme said:
'I think it really, really helps you to do a very good high quality appraisal, the sorts of things we’ve been learning, not just as a mentor but having this exchange, and relationship with my own mentee, I think it’s been fantastic.'
Find a mentor
The scheme aims to provide new consultants, consultants moving into new roles (e.g. arriving from overseas to work in the UK, taking on a training or management role), and final-year trainees with an established mentor. Mentees will receive free training and the RCR will facilitate the initial contact with a mentor.
- Accessing impartial support and encouragement through a supportive relationship
- Assistance with problem solving
- Improving self-confidence
- Offer professional development
- Encouragement to reflect on practice
Mentees from the recent programme said:
'The transition from registrar to consultant is something really stressful, so it’s good to have some sort of support, and it was good that the College has recognised that this is something that should be addressed from the trainees’ point of view.'
'I could tell it was different to any other sort of mentoring advice, support, supervision, I’d had before. Clearly there are techniques you can learn to really help people.'
What to expect
- Both mentors and mentees attend a training session together.
- After the training, you will be offered a match with someone outside your trust/UHB.
- This match lasts for a 12-month period and we suggest six one-hour meetings over this period.
- The RCR Mentoring Team will check in with you throughout the match to offer support and answer any queries.
Read our frequently asked questions for more information.
This programme is only available to full Fellows and members of the RCR. If you have any questions about the mentoring scheme, please contact email@example.com