The Board is chaired by the Medical Director for Education and Training and comprises four elected and eight appointed members, all of whom are expected to have experience and an interest in clinical radiology training and assessment. In addition the Chairs of the Fellowship Examination Board, the Academic Committee and the Junior Radiologists’ Forum, along with the Recruitment Lead and a lay representative are members. The President, Vice-President and Medical Director for Professional Practice are ex-officio members.
Full details of the Board’s remit can be found in the terms of reference.
- 26 May 2017
- 28 September 2017
- Dr W H Ramsden
- Dr R FitzGerald (Vice-President, Clinical Radiology)
- Dr F A Smethurst (Medical Director, Professional Practice (CR))
- Dr N H Strickland (President)
- Dr F U-H Chowdhury
- Dr S A Cooper
- Dr P A Hulse
- Dr R Sinnatamby
- Dr M Z Ahmad
- Dr G J Davies (Quality Assurance Lead)
- Dr C D George
- Dr S P Harden
- Dr S D Heenan
- Dr J Phillips-Hughes (Curriculum Committee Chair)
- Dr C M E Rubin (Medical Director, Education & Training, CR)
- Dr P A K Set
- Dr P M Thompson
- Ms T Cook (Lay representative)
- Dr J M Domjan (Less than Full-Time Training and Working Adviser)
- Professor V J Goh (Clinical Radiology Academic Committee Chair)
- Dr D K Mak (Junior Radiologists' Forum Chair)
- Dr R Williamson (Clinical Radiology National Recruitment Lead)
- Dr M F Ryan (Representative of the Irish Faculty)
- Dr J Whiteman (Lead Dean for Radiology)
- To advise the Faculty Board on the arrangements, standards and processes for entry to, content of and assessment in training for the specialty of clinical radiology and dental and maxillofacial radiology up to and including recommendations for the award of a Certificate of Completion of Training together with related activities.
- To be responsible on behalf of the Faculty Board for all activities in 1 above notably:
- Preparation, agreement and regular review of training curricula for submission to the relevant regulatory body for formal approval;
- Oversight, approval and review of an integrated training assessment system including workplace-based assessment;
- Delivery and development of the Fellowship Examinations for clinical radiology and the examinations for dental and maxillofacial radiology;
- Educational development of all the foregoing procedures and activities;
- Oversight and approval of arrangements for recommendations for the award of Certificates of Completion of Training to the relevant regulatory body;
- Oversight and approval of arrangements for recommendations for the award of to the relevant regulatory body
- e-learning as it applies to the support and development of specialty training;
- Liaison and communication arrangements with trainees, trainers, Training Programme Directors, Regional Specialty Advisers, Heads of Schools, College tutors and others carrying out similar roles
- The award of various bursaries and prizes (except those in 3 below).To make recommendations to the Faculty Board as regards
- To make recommendations to the Faculty Board as regards:
- the award of Fellowship without Examination for onward recommendation to Council;]
- the award of the Roentgen Professorship and the Couch Kerley Travelling Professor.
- To bring for approval to the Faculty Board any publications associated with its work accepting that the processes in 2(a) above are subject to externally imposed timetables that may make this impracticable.
- To work as required by the Faculty Board with other boards, committees, sub-committees or working parties within the Faculty or with the Faculty of Clinical Oncology on related activities where there is a specialty training-related component. This would include CPD, research, e-learning and assessment.
- The Board is accountable to the Clinical Radiology Faculty Board and will report to each meeting of the Clinical Radiology Faculty Board on its work.
- There will be four members elected by means of nomination and election processes that as far as possible parallel those that apply to the election of members to the Faculty Board.
- Elected members serve for terms of three years and no more.
- An elected Member of the Board shall cease to hold office if he or she fails to attend two consecutive meetings of the Board without leave of absence granted by the Chair.
- There will be eight appointed members who will all be Fellows of the Faculty of Clinical Radiology resident in the UK who shall be in active clinical practice at the time of their appointment. All appointees must have experience of providing postgraduate training and an interest in curriculum development, quality assurance or assessment.
- One of these places will be taken by the Educational Development Lead.
- Appointed members serve for terms of three years and can be appointed for a maximum of two terms.
- Ex-officio members are: the President and all Clinical Radiology Officers.
- The Treasurer has the right to attend meetings of the Board on giving notice to the Chair but it is not a requirement of office.
- The Board may co-opt up to six members. These six places shall be taken by the chairs of the Fellowship Examination Board, the Academic Committee and the Junior Radiologists' Forum, the Recruitment Lead, the Less than Full-Time Training Working Adviser and a lay representative.
- The Lead-Dean for Clinical Radiology and a representative of the Faculty of Radiologists of the Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland are Observer members.
- Members will need to abide by any stated or implied confidentiality that attaches to the work of the Board during or after any period of membership.
- Members will need to comply with the provisions of the Data Protection Act 1998 as regards processing and disclosure of any personal data where it is made available to them as part of the work of the Board.
- All elected and appointed members will be expected to be actively involved in the work of the Board and, when required, to sit on either the Curriculum Committee or the Quality Assurance Committee or any other sub-committee that is formed to carry out specific workstreams.
- The Board will be chaired by the Medical Director, Education and Training, Clinical Radiology.
- The duties of the Chair include:
- Chairing all meetings
- Ensuring that the Terms of Reference are observed
- Engaging all members of the Board in the work being done
- Ensuring regular reports are made to the Faculty Board
- Ensuring that relevant matters are drawn to the attention of the Vice President, Clinical Radiology, the Clinical Radiology Faculty Board or Clinical Radiology Officers’ as appropriate
- Acting as media spokesperson for the College in respect of matters within the remit of the Board at the request of the President.
- There will normally be three meetings in each College year.
- At meetings of the Board, three members including one Officer eligible to attend and one elected member shall form a quorum.