The Clinical Radiology Professional Support and Standards Board (CR PSSB) is responsible on behalf of the Faculty Board for all the following activities:
- Preparation, approval and review of arrangements for revalidation in the specialty including the arrangements for CPD;
- Commissioning, oversight and presentation to the Faculty Board for approval: standards, guidelines, advice and statements for practice in the specialty and ensuring that such documents are regularly reviewed and updated as required;
- Oversight and development of arrangements for collecting and analysing data and producing reports on the workforce in the specialty including the Advisory Appointments Committee function;
- Liaison and communication arrangements with national or UK devolved country bodies dealing with practice, standards, advice, guidance, revalidation, CPD and workforce among others;
- The development and delivery of research in clinical radiology ensuring such work is co-ordinated with work pre the award of a Certificate of Completion of Training undertaken by the Clinical Radiology Specialty Training Board.The CR PSSB commissions specific pieces of work or projects from CR PSSB committees, sub-committees or working parties and/or establishes time-limited working parties for the particular purpose (setting terms of reference and work programmes accordingly).
The CR PSSB works, as required by the Faculty Board, with other boards, committees, sub-committees or working parties within the Faculty, or with the Faculty of Clinical Oncology on related activities where there is a practice-related component.
The CR PSSB works in a cost-effective manner and monitors the impact of its activities.
For enquiries please contact the Clinical Radiology Executive Officer.
- Professor M P Callaway (Medical Director Professional Practice)
- Dr J Dickson (President)
- Dr N Dugar (CR Informatics Adviser)
- Professor V J Goh
- Dr S P Harden (Medical Director Education and Training)
- Dr J C Hillier
- Dr W H Ramsden (Vice President)
- Dr J T Smith (REAL Panel Chair)
- Dr M G Djearaman
- Dr S L Tennant
- Dr IA Zealley
- Dr S Fossey (JRF representative)
- Ms J Frew (Lay member)
- Dr R A Johnson (iRefer Content Development lead)
- Dr R Chowdhury
Terms of Reference
- Commission, approve and periodically review professional standards, guidelines, advice and statements for practice.
- Prepare, approve and review arrangements for the RCR continuing professional development scheme and RCR support for appraisal and revalidation.
- Oversee and develop arrangements for collecting and analysing data and producing reports on the workforce and other aspects as required.
- Oversee and review periodically the Advisory Appointments Committee function.
- Develop and deliver RCR policy on and support for research ensuring such work is co-ordinated with work pre the award of a Certificate of Completion of Training undertaken by the Specialty Training Board.
- Approve any publications associated with its work.
- Develop for consideration by the Faculty Board new developments or initiatives which may require review and scrutiny by the advisers to Council or as directed by Council.
- Undertake any other developments, projects or initiatives at the request of the Faculty Board.
- Ensure there is full and appropriate engagement of the Faculty more widely and other RCR bodies and external groups in respect of the above functions that views expressed are fully taken into account in making decisions.
- Where a matter has implications for the other Faculty, ensure that that Faculty is appropriately consulted or involved and the resultant outcome is co-ordinated and consistent across the Faculties taking account of any directions in this regard issued by Council.
- Where proposals or initiatives discussed by the Board would incur expenditure or future financial commitment by the College which is not within the approved budget, refer the proposal or initiative for financial appraisal and consideration under the out-of-budget expenditure procedure as agreed from time to time by Council.
- Report to the Faculty Board at each meeting on its work.
- Establish such subsidiary bodies as are required and that can be resourced to enable the work of the Board and its plan to be effectively discharged, ensuring that each such body has a clear purpose and terms of reference, that programmes of work are appropriate and agreed and reported on.
- Periodically review the purpose and remit of each subsidiary body.
- Ex-officio members
- Clinical Radiology Medical Director, Professional Practice
- Vice-President, Faculty of Clinical Radiology
- Clinical Radiology Medical Director, Education and Training
- President, RCR
- Treasurer, RCR
- Chair of the Clinical Radiology Academic Committee
- Chair of the Clinical Radiology Audit Committee
- Clinical Radiologist Commissioning Adviser
- Clinical Radiologist Informatics Adviser
- Clinical Radiologist Less Than Full-Time Training and Working Adviser
- Clinical Radiologist Patient Safety and Human Factors Adviser
- Clinical Radiologist Adviser on Radiation Protection
- Chair of the READ Review Panel
- Clinical Radiologist Revalidation/CPD Lead
- The Board will be chaired by the Medical Director, Professional Practice, and in his/her absence by another Clinical Radiology Officer.
- The ex-officio members of the Board will not be expected to attend each meeting in person. They may participate for some or all of a Board meeting by teleconference or videoconference by prior agreement of the CR Medical Director, Professional Practice.
- Non-Officer ex-officio members of the Board will however be expected to present an annual report in person to the Board.
- Elected Members
- There will be four members elected by means of nomination and election processes that as far as possible parallel those that apply to the election of members to the CR Faculty Board.
- Elected members will serve for a term of three years.
- They may subsequently apply, in common with all other eligible RCR Radiologist members, to be an appointed member of CR PSSB.
- Appointed Members
- There will be six appointed members who will serve for a term of three years.
- Appointed members will be Fellows of the Faculty of Clinical Radiology and resident in the UK and shall be in active clinical practice at the time of their appointment.
- Appointed members may subsequently, in common with all other eligible RCR Radiologist members, be candidates for elected membership of CR PSSB.
- Applications from Fellows for appointed membership will be ranked against the person specification by a selection panel comprising the CR Medical Director Professional Practice, the Vice President Clinical Radiology and two elected members of Faculty Board.
- Any elected or appointed member of the Board shall cease to hold office if s/he fails to participate in person or by video/teleconference in two consecutive meetings of the Board without providing an explanation which the Chair considers satisfactory.
- Lay Membership
There will be one lay member who will be selected from the College lay member network.
- Junior Radiologists’ Forum Observer
A representative of the Junior Radiologists’ Forum will be an observer at CR PSSB meetings.
- The Board will be chaired by the Medical Director, Professional Practice CR.
- The duties of the Chair include –
- Chairing all meetings
- Ensuring that the purpose and terms of reference are observed
- Engaging all members of the Board in the work being done
- Ensuring regular reports are made to the Faculty Board
- Ensuring that relevant matters are drawn to the attention of the Vice President, the Faculty Board or Officers as appropriate
- Acting as media spokesperson for the College in respect of matters within the remit of the Board at the request of the President.
- The Board will meet not more than three times per year on dates to be agreed unless exceptionally required to transact urgent business.
- Meetings may be held by virtual means/remote attendance.
- Board members may be called upon to consider or determine matters electronically between meetings and are expected to contribute to such considerations or decisions as part of their duties as Faculty Board members.
- Board members will not speak on or behalf of the College unless authorised to do so.
- Board members will abide by any stated or implied confidentiality that attaches to the work of the Faculty Board during or after any period of membership.
- Board members will comply with the provisions of the Data Protection Act 1998 as regards processing (as defined in the Act) of any personal data where it is made available to them as part of their work.
- At meetings of the Board, three members including one Officer eligible to attend and one elected member shall form a quorum.
The minutes of meetings held over the last year are available to members and Fellows of the College. If you would like to see the minutes of earlier meetings please contact the Clinical Radiology Executive Officer.