There are five clinical radiology examination Boards and Committees that examiners are required for: the First FRCR Examination Committee (Anatomy); the First FRCR Examination Committee (Physics); the Final FRCR (Part A) Examination Committee; the Final FRCR (Part B) Examination Board and the Dental and Maxillofacial Radiology Examination Board. The College are grateful for the expertise and time given by its examiners and often receives feedback on how rewarding and enjoyable examining roles are. We rely heavily on the voluntary support of clinical radiologists and other specialists who invest considerable time to ensure the College continues to deliver quality examinations, thereby ensuring the highest standards of professional competence. Several of the UK’s leading healthcare organisations have written a joint letter to all NHS hospitals urging them to support doctors who request time out to undertake work for national health bodies such as the College.
Each examination Board or Committee writes questions, sources images, moderates and classifies material, selects content for individual sittings, identifies passing standards and evaluates candidate performance to a greater or lesser degree, depending on the composition and format of their particular examination. Every Board or Committee also reviews the performance of individual questions, and patterns of examination performance overall, and makes recommendations on changes to structure and content where appropriate.
Examiners are appointed by the overarching Fellowship Examination Board, with the relevant Board or Committee making recommendations on the basis of applications submitted.
A brief description of the remit and role of each of the five examiner groups, and details of the accountability of the various bodies which oversee the clinical radiology FRCR examinations, shows in the governance structure document. Individual role descriptions below provide more information including person specifications and working practices:
- First FRCR Examination Committee (Anatomy)
- First FRCR Examination Committee (Physics) - Clinical Radiologist and Medical Physicist
- Final FRCR (Part A) Examination Committee
- Final FRCR (Part B) Examination Board
- Diploma in Dental and Maxillofacial Radiology Examination Board - Dental/Medical Radiologists and Medical Physicist
Current vacancies - Closing date 4pm on Friday 19 October 2018.
Below are a list of the current vacancies.
- First FRCR Examination Committee (Physics) - one vacancy for a Clinical Radiologist and one for a Medical Physicist.
- Final FRCR (Part A) Examination Committee - five vacancies. Candidates with neuroradiology and head & neck, neuroradiology and paediatrics, MSK, paediatrics and general experience, interventional or chest expertise in particular are encouraged to apply.
- Final FRCR (Part B) Examination Board - eight vacancies. Candidates with subspecialties in the following areas are encouraged to apply: ENT, Vascular and cross-sectional (abdoment) are highly desirable but there is also a need for Paediatrics, hepatobiliary pancreatic, breast and cardiac. The Board welcome all applications.
The closing date for all vacancies is 4pm on Friday 19 October 2018. Appointments will be made in November/December and successful applicants will be expected to attend a New Examiner induction day being held at the College on Monday 21 January 2019 prior to the start of their tenure. Successful applicants for the Final FRCR (Part A) Examination Committee will also be encouraged to attend an SBA question panel day for familiarisation. They are being held within the week commencing Monday 12 November 2018.
How to apply
All candidates should complete the application form for the vacancy for which they are applying (linked from the vacancies above) and email the form to firstname.lastname@example.org by 4pm on Friday 19 October 2018. Any queries should be directed to the same email address.
Conflict of interest
Examiners may only serve on one Board or Committee at any one time and there is an expectation that examiners remain in employment for the duration of their term of office. Details of current post-holders for each examination committee show under the relevant committee listing.
All potential applicants should be aware of the College’s policy on conflict of interests.