If you want to employ an overseas doctor

To take up the post, the doctor will need to be registered with the General Medical Council (GMC). There are different types of GMC registration depending on what kind of job the doctor is going to work in. Obtaining GMC registration can take some time, so the doctor should look into this at the earliest opportunity. The GMC also has general information on its website about employing doctors.

NHS Employers have produced a guide to planning successful international recruitment and information about sponsoring Tier 2 visas for employers.  Visa applications can be rejected if important information is incorrectly entered which will lead to a delay in the doctor taking up the post. It may be worth pointing HR departments to NHS Employers' advice on Tier 2 visas, which includes tips for applying for a certificate.   Their quick guides are designed to help employers identify which visa tier applies when recruiting individuals from outside the UK who require a sponsor to work here, and other useful information about visas.  

Clinical radiology consultants are on the Migration Advisory Committee’s Shortage Occupation List (SOL) for the UK and for Scotland. This means that consultant clinical radiologists from outside the UK and EEA can now be offered a consultant radiologist post, and consequently the appropriate visa, without the employer going through the advertisement process required under the Resident Labour Market Test (RLMT).

There is a separate SOL for Scotland. This includes not only consultants in clinical radiology, but also non-consultant, non-training medical staff posts and ST4 to ST7 trainees. Radiology posts with all these titles can be filled without the RLMT, but only if they are based in Scotland.  

This may benefit employers as consultant radiology posts (and others if based in Scotland) could be filled more quickly. Your HR department should be able to advise you further. The doctor must still follow the usual procedures to register with the GMC.

Have a look at the Vice-President’s recent newsletter article in which he writes about the need to support and mentor doctors new to the NHS.

Do encourage your overseas doctors to apply for membership of the RCR, which will give them a range of benefits including access to reduced rates for our CPD events, the RCR Learning e-learning hub, the journal, an ePortfolio account if they need it and keep them up to date with developments in the specialty.