OPEN FOR APPLICATIONS
Closing Date: Friday 12 July 2019
The College hopes to award these grants annually to foster research in clinical radiology. They are intended to `pump prime’ individuals, collaborations, ideas or institutions. The purpose of the grants is to facilitate the collection of pilot data to allow a high quality competitive grant application to a research council.
Grants are offered on the recommendation of the Academic Committee (Clinical Radiology). This year, it is anticipated that the amount per project will be up to a maximum of £10,000. The number of grants awarded will be at the discretion of the assessment panel.
The Royal College of Radiologists (RCR) Pump Priming Grants (PPG) scheme is designed to provide financial support for small-scale projects in the UK undertaken by clinical radiology members and Fellows of the RCR who are:
- current trainees
- or within five years of completion of training
- or consultants relatively new to research who hope to develop their research experience.
“ …….The award has helped enhance my standing as an academic radiologist and improved the profile of my work, both within my own department but also in the research community. Most significantly, successfully completing the project has played a large part in me successfully obtaining PhD funding, and I’m hugely grateful to the RCR for this.” (2013 recipient)
All applicants must read the Guidance Notes before applying.
Applicants will need to submit:
- A completed application form.The application form requires:
- A detailed account of the proposed project including title, purpose, timing, plan of investigation, methods and techniques of study
- A budget plan
- Details of two referees, both of whom should be consultant clinical radiologists based at different institutions to each other and the applicant. The referees should be experts in their field and have no connection to either the project or the applicant(s). The referees will be asked to comment on the merits of the proposed project, NOT the character of the applicant.
Patient public involvement in the project is strongly encouraged, where appropriate. Informal PPI review of an application can be requested through the RCR, prior to submission. Any requests must be sent by Sunday 19 May 2019 to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- A brief curriculum vitae. This should NOT include a photograph of the applicant.
- Letter(s) of support from the research project supervisor(s) at the centre(s) at which the project is to be undertaken.
Applications should be submitted to: email@example.com
An assessment panel nominated by The Royal College of Radiologists will consider applications. The decision of the assessment panel is final and binding. It is intended that the assessors’ recommendations are reported to the Academic Committee for approval. Applicants will be informed of the outcome of their application as soon as possible after this has taken place. The funds will be awarded in instalments and will be contingent upon the receipt of the interim reports.
Please note that an applicant may apply for only ONE of the following awards in any given year: Kodak Radiology Fund Bursary – Research; Kodak Research Fund Scholarship; Constance Thornton Fellowship; Pump Priming Grant. The assessment panel reserves the right to move an application into another award category if appropriate.
Any enquiries should be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org
An audit report on the grants awarded under the above schemes between 2005-2015 is available.