The Heads of Service Committee is chaired by the Clinical Oncology Medical Director for Professional Practice. The Clinical Oncology Vice-President, Clinical Oncology Medical Director for Education and Training, and the President are ex-officio members.
Full details of the committee's remit can be found in the terms of reference.
If you have any items you would like raised at the next meeting of the Heads of Service Committee, please write to Dr Nicky Thorp, Medical Director Professional Practice, via the Quality and Standards Operations Manager, at The Royal College of Radiologists, or contact your Head of Service.
2023 meeting dates
- Thursday 9 February (4pm, online)
- Dr N Thorp (Medical Director, Professional Practice, Clinical Oncology)
- Ellis (Royal Preston Hospital)
- Dr I Ahmed (Southend Hospital)
- Dr R Banner (Singleton Hospital, Swansea)
- Dr F Bartlett (Portsmouth Oncology Centre)
- Dr A Bateman (Southampton General Hospital)
- Dr R Bhana (Royal Stoke University Hospital, Stoke on Trent)
- Dr D Brady (North West Cancer Centre, Londonderry)
- Dr J Brady (Dorset Cancer Centre, Poole)
- Dr C Brammer (The Clatterbridge Cancer Centre, Bebington)
- Dr J Branagan (Northampton General Hospital)
- Dr L Capaldi (Worcestershire Royal Hospital, Worcester)
- Dr F Castell (Guy's and St Thomas' Hospital, London)
- Dr J Christian (City Hospital, Nottingham)
- Dr C Comins (Bristol Haematology & Oncology Centre)
- Dr R Cooper (Leeds - Medical Director, Education &Training, CO)
- Dr R Cox (Royal United Hospital Bath)
- Dr A Dewdney (Weston Park Hospital, Sheffield)
- Dr A Edwards (Kent Oncology Centre, Maidstone)
- Dr M Ezhil (Royal Surrey County Hospital, Guildford)
- Dr A Falconer (Charing Cross Hospital, Fulham)
- Dr N Fersht (University College London Hospital)
- Dr J Forrest (Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital, Exeter)
- Dr A Freebairn (Royal Berkshire Hospital, Reading)
- Dr V Gajapathy (North Middlesex University Hospital)
- Dr E Gallop-Evans (Velindre Cancer Centre, Cardiff)
- Dr Q Ghafoor (Queen Elizabeth Hospital, Birmingham)
- Dr B Goranov (Derriford Hospital, Plymouth)
- Dr A Gore (Leicester Royal Infirmary)
- Dr S Guglani (Cheltenham General Hospital)
- Dr M Hingorani (Castle Hill Hospital, Hull)
- Dr M Iqbal (Newcastle General Hospital)
- Dr A James (Beatson West of Scotland Cancer Centre, Glasgow)
- Dr C Jephcott (Peterborough City Hospital)
- Dr M Joseph (New Cross Hospital, Wolverhampton)
- Dr R Jyothirmayi (Kent Oncology Centre, Maidstone)
- Dr G Kapur (Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital)
- Dr T Ajith Kumar (Addenbrooke's Hospital, Cambridge)
- Dr S Lalondrelle (Royal Marsden Hospital, London)
- Dr L Lee (The Christie Hospital, Manchester)
- Dr A Lydon (Torbay District General Hospital)
- Dr C MacGregor (Raigmore Hospital, Inverness)
- Dr R Moleron Mancebo (Aberdeen Royal Infirmary)
- Dr S Mawdsley (Mount Vernon Hospital, Northwood, Middlesex)
- Dr J McAleer (Belfast City Hospital)
- Dr J McGrane (Royal Cornwall Hospital, Truro)
- Dr C McLean (Western General Hospital, Edinburgh)
- Dr D Muthukumar (Colchester General Hospital)
- Dr S Needleman (Royal Free London NHS Foundation Trust)
- Dr P Niblock (Ninewells Hospital, Dundee)
- Dr M Panades Piza (Lincoln County Hospital)
- Dr S Raouf (St Bartholomew's Hospital, London)
- Dr A Robinson (Royal Sussex County Hospital, Brighton)
- Dr K Shah (The Churchill Hospital, Oxford)
- Dr M Smith-Howell (Royal Derby Hospital)
- Dr W Soe (Glan Clwyd Hospital, Rhyl)
- Dr E Staples (Queen's Hospital, Romford)
- Dr A Thompson (North Middlesex University Hospital)
- Dr R Venkitaraman (Ipswich Hospital)
- Dr J Walther (Musgrove Park Hospital, Taunton)
- Dr D Wilkinson (James Cook University Hospital, Middlesbrough)
- Dr J Worlding (University Hospital Coventry)
- Dr A Zachariah (Royal Shrewsbury Hospital)
Terms of Reference
- Consider and provide views on current or emerging Faculty policy.
- Consider and where appropriate identify solutions to shared or common issues.
- Consider and provide input to new or current professional guidance and guidance under review.
- Identify issues requiring College action.
- Provide input to Faculty plans and College Strategy.
- Provide feedback and ideas in order to help make Faculty communication processes and channels more effective.
- Through the Chair and/or Faculty Officers, to report on the foregoing to the Clinical Oncology Professional Support and Standards Board to help shape the work and priorities of the Board.
- To provide a source of information and advice to the College on service development and/or delivery issues.
- Those managing the delivery of radiotherapy services in every cancer centre in the UK will be invited to become members. Attendance by deputies is to be encouraged when head of service is not available. Many different organisational structures exist throughout the UK and the Committee welcomes members who have managerial responsibility for delivery of non-surgical cancer services.
Chair of the Committee
- The Committee will be chaired by the Medical Director, Professional Practice, Clinical Oncology
- The duties of the Chair will include:
- Chairing all meetings
- Ensuring that the Terms of Reference are observed
- Engaging all members of the Committee in the work being done
- Ensuring that regular reports are made to the Professional Support and Standards Board
- Ensuring that relevant matters are drawn to the attention of the Vice-President, Clinical Oncology, another Clinical Oncology Officer, the Professional Support and Standards Board or the Clinical Oncology Officers’ group as appropriate.
- Ensuring that links and liaison are established with other relevant College bodies.
- Reviewing the work of the Committee at least once during his or her term of office and making any recommendations to the Vice-President, Clinical Oncology.
- In the absence of the Medical Director, Professional Practice, the Vice-President, or another Faculty Officer will take the chair.
- There will be up to three meetings in each College year, although additional meetings may be convened in exceptional circumstances or to transact urgent business.
- Meetings may be held by virtual means/remote attendance.
- Heads of Service members may be called upon to consider or determine matters electronically between meetings and are expected to contribute to such considerations or decisions as part of their duties.
- A Head of Service member will not express any opinion or make any statement publicly or to the media that is held out to be a view from the College without first consulting and agreeing the approach with the Medical Director, Professional Practice or the Vice-President, Clinical Oncology.
- The Committee will not send representatives to other bodies or meetings on behalf of the College unless that has been agreed in advance with the Vice-President, Clinical Oncology.
- Members will need to abide by any stated or implied confidentiality that attaches to the work of the Committee during or after any period of membership.
Last updated: December 2020
The minutes of the last three meetings of the Clinical Oncology Heads of Service Committee are available to members and Fellows of the RCR. If you would like to see the minutes of earlier meetings please contact the Quality and Standards Operations Manager.