There are three clinical oncology examination boards that examiners are required for: First FRCR Examination Board; Final FRCR (Part A) SBA Committee and the Final FRCR (Part B) Examination Board. The College are grateful for the expertise and time given by its examiners and often receives feedback on how rewarding and enjoyable examining roles are. We rely heavily on the voluntary support of clinical oncologists and other specialists who invest considerable time to ensure the College continues to deliver quality examinations, thereby ensuring the highest standards of professional competence. Several of the UK’s leading healthcare organisations have written a joint letter to all NHS hospitals urging them to support doctors who request time out to undertake work for national health bodies such as the College.
Each clinical oncology Examination Board writes questions, sources images, moderates and classifies material, selects content for individual sittings, identifies passing standards and evaluates candidate performance to a greater or lesser degree, depending on the composition and format of their particular examination. Every Board also reviews the performance of individual questions, and patterns of examination performance overall, and makes recommendations on changes to structure and content where appropriate.
Examiners are appointed by the overarching Fellowship Examination Board, with the relevant board making recommendations on the basis of applications submitted.
A brief description of the remit and role of each of the three clinical oncology examiner groups, and details of the accountability of the various bodies which oversee the clinical oncology FRCR examination, shows in the governance structure document. Individual role descriptions below provide more information including person specifications and working practices:
- First FRCR Examination Board - Clinical Oncology and Specialist Examiner
- Final FRCR (Part A) SBA Committee - Full Committee Member and Post FRCR Associate Member
- Final FRCR (Part B) Examination Board
Current vacancies - Closing Date 4pm on Friday 19 October 2018.
Below are a list of the current vacancies.
- First FRCR Examination Board - three vacancies for Clinical Oncology examiners.
- Final FRCR (Part A) SBA Committee – three vacancies for full Committee members and one vacancy for a Post FRCR Associate member. Whilst there is a need for candidates who cover CNS, gynae and lung, applications from those offering other tumour sites are welcome.
- Final FRCR (Part B) Examination Board - three vacancies. The Board needs candidates who cover brain, STS, renal, testis and skin but are happy to consider all applications.
How to apply
All candidates should complete the application form for the vacancy for which they are applying (linked from the vacancies above) and email the form to firstname.lastname@example.org by 4pm on Friday 19 October 2018. Any queries should be directed to the same email address.
The closing date for all vacancies is 4pm on Friday 19 October 2018. Appointments will be made in December and successful applicants will be expected to attend a New Examiner induction day being held at the College on Monday 21 January 2019 prior to the start of their tenure.
Conflict of interest
Examiners may only serve on one Board at any one time and there is an expectation that examiners remain in employment for the duration of their term of office. Details of current post-holders show under the relevant committee listing.
All potential applicants should be aware of the College’s policy on conflict of interests.